Friday, July 15, 2011

Triplet Ostinato

I've been talking about "epic tom beats" for a few weeks now. They've been revolving in my head for a long time. A caffeinated me takes the elevator to the first floor of the building I work on, and if I'm sharing the elevator, I stay quiet. Otherwise, I'm usually working out some kind of pattern in the expanses of my cranial enclosure. Trust me, the reverb is fantastic in there!

So Wednesday I start thinking of a pattern in triplet. 2 right hands (floor tom) and one left foot (hi-hat closure). Easy enough. Of the two right hands, my 2nd right hand is the accent. When I imagine the beat on the rack tom that I want to play, 2 8ths and a triplet (with an accent on the third subdivided beat). I can play this when I'm not playing the ostinato, (it's easy), but then when I start using the hand/foot pattern, I'm toast!

Plus, I haven't decided what I want to do with my right foot. The bass drum (in my head) is non-existent so far. I might just use it to play the quarter note pulses, but still, it's not quite settled about how I want to use that.

So once I get this down and sorted, my left hand will be free to wander around the kit, playing the pattern on different voices (such as various rack/floor toms and the snare on accents), but also ad-lib'ing outside of the prewritten pattern.

I wrote the pattern out on a grid, and have worked on the ostinato last night and today in the duller points of my training meeting. Eep! Time to go back.

Fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment